From Commitment to Practice (C2P)
09/16 - 03/19
The C2P project aimed to support the operationalization of private sector commitments to addressing land rights by working closely with a leading private sector company, Illovo Sugar, to apply VGGT principles to company practice, including and piloting the application of VGGT-based Analytical Framework for Due Diligence of Agricultural Land-based Investments in sub-Saharan Africa (AFDD) in three countries, Malawi, Mozambique and Tanzania.
The principal outcomes were:
- Illovo land champions were selected in each country sensitised and trained on land rights and responsible land investment issues, and in the use of the AFDD tool
- Independent civil society partners were selected to work in partnership with Illovo staff, and relations of trust and professional collaboration established.
- A customised tool LandAssess tool was developed for application in due diligence of Illovo’s existing investments, smallholder supply chains and plans for possible expansion, and in monitoring land issues across the company’s operations. This tool uses the VGGT based analytical framework as a foundation and can be adapted and applied relatively easily by other companies to meet their specific needs.
- Field assessments were made of land rights issues in Illovo operations in Malawi, Mozambique and Tanzania using the LandAssess tool.
- As a result Illovo is now better equipped to achieve responsible investments across its Operations, and has developed a new land strategy adapted to its different operational sites and supply chains. Illovo has become regarded as a pioneer amongst companies in this respect.
- A range of learning and dissemination materials were produced and disseminated within Illovo and amongst interested stakeholders, including through a social media outreach campaign
Grantee’s products and project documentation
- The LandAssess Tool, Risk Assessment and Management Framework provides a clear and simple set of checklists that generate a report to help companies assess and manage how they respect land rights. This tool responds to the gap between companies’ commitments to recognize land rights and their ability to give life to that commitment in their operations.
- LandAssess Tool
- LandAssess User Guide
- C2P final narrative report on project achievements and lessons learned
- Case Study of the Phata sugar growers’ cooperative scheme: a full assessment of the inclusive business model of a major Illovo supplier in Malawi
- Landesa C2P project blog series:
o Forging new partnerships(link is external)
o Announcing the LandAssess tool(link is external) - demystifying land risks in project due diligence
o One company’s journey to better respect land(link is external)