+52 (55) 5804 2004
Km. 45, Carretera México-Veracruz, El BatánCP 56237 Texcoco
See map: Google Maps
Apdo. Postal 6-641 06600 México, D.F., MÉXICO US Postal address: C.I.P./Mexico/ AP # 370 P.O. Box 60326 Houston TX 77205 U.S
CIMMYT works throughout the developing world to improve livelihoods and foster more productive, sustainable maize and wheat farming. Our portfolio squarely targets critical challenges, including food insecurity and malnutrition, climate change and environmental degradation.
Through collaborative research, partnerships, and training, the center helps to build and strengthen a new generation of national agricultural research and extension services in maize- and wheat-growing nations. As a member of the CGIAR System composed of 15 agricultural research centers, CIMMYT leads the CGIAR Research Programs on Maize and Wheat, which align and add value to the efforts of more than 500 partners.
Turning research into impact
- By conservative estimates, this work provides at least $2 billion in annual benefits to farmers.
- CIMMYT alumni include a Nobel Peace Prize laureate and three World Food Prize winners.
- CIMMYT’s success depends on the longstanding partnerships and trust of public agricultural research systems, private companies, advanced research institutes and academia, and non-governmental and farmer organizations.
- More than 70 percent of the wheat grown in developing countries and more than 50 percent of improved maize varieties derive from CIMMYT breeding materials.
- More than 10,000 scientists have trained at CIMMYT and gone on to become leaders in their own countries. The center empowers thousands of students, extension workers and farmers through courses, workshops and field days.