The Overseas Development Institute (ODI) is the UK's leading independent think tank on international development and humanitarian issues.
Our mission is to inspire and inform policy and practice which lead to the reduction of poverty, the alleviation of suffering and the achievement of sustainable livelihoods in developing countries.
We do this by locking together high quality applied research, practical policy advice, and policy-focused dissemination and debate.
We work with partners in the public and private sectors, in both developing and developed countries.
- Independence: ODI’s research, public affairs and policy advice are independent from its funders, and staff are able to challenge donor thinking and policy and the wider development consensus.
- High quality: Best practice, innovative approaches and continuous improvement are ensured in research, policy advice and public affairs.
- Fairness, diversity and equality: All staff and partners are treated fairly and with respect. ODI employment, disciplines and processes are appropriate for an institute focused on international development.
- Working together: There is continuous effort to foster better relationships throughout the organisation.
- Transparency and accountability: There is open reporting on the use of public funds, with full communication of our work to our donors, research subjects and partners.
- Sustainability: Resources are used in a sustainable way that reflects consciousness of the impact on the environment. The organisation works in a way that is sustainable, backed by commitment to its long-term viability.